Pancake Planning Meeting #3
June 30, 2015
Sarah, Joseph, Peter, Tiffany, Lou, Michael, and Friend
- Permaculture Learning Garden
– Sarah reported that much of what is going to seed is seeding out real tiny and immature. May be due to water being off for a time and the hot summer. She sees this in other gardens throughout the valley.
– Hibiscus has replanted in herb spiral!
– Sarah will give irrigation parts receipts to Tiffany for reimbursement
– Cob workshop to repair benches, mid-September. Talk to Ana about how to seal. Promote event to CCSD teachers that have shown interest. Request a modest $5 donation.
– Shade structures. Replace palm fronds on current shade structure and possibly put up more in October (see pinterest page for some ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/gbpermaculture/permaculture-learning-garden/)
– Murals —- Jessica is contact with the muralist again, this time talking about painting the principles on banners instead so they can be transported and stored. Will send principles to her again, waiting to her back on what kind of budget she’s looking for.
- Summer Events
– July 6 and July 18 Bug Hotel Workshops at Henderson Libraries with Ana and Tiffany
– July 11 date set for GBP group to harvest mesquite pods at Springs Preserve and inspect hammermill
– July 28 Seed Saving Workshop at GVL with Tiffany
– August 25 Pancake Planning Meeting at GVL with Tiffany
*Need to set date for mequite pod milling
** Joseph recommended a more informal approach to harvesting mesquite pods throughout the month of July so that we can obtain a yield in preparation for the milling date. Either organize it as a weekly Saturday thing or demonstrate one time and encourage people to do it on their own and then share the harvest with us on mill day.
- Harvest for MPB15
– mesquite pods at Springs Preserve on July 11
– prickly pears at PLG/Ahern on Bonanza late Sep-Oct
– pomegranates at Master Gardener Orchard late Sep-Oct (Joseph will ask about this)
– jujubes at Master Gardener Orchard in September (Joseph will ask about this)
– apples/pears at Master Gardener Orchard (Joseph has received permission for this, will communicate when)
– dates from China Date Ranch, last year’s harvest (Tiffany will contact Brian)
– pine nuts from Mt Charleston in September (someone will need to organize and promote)
– additional fruit (Ana and Tiffany)
– coffee (Ana said she’d talk to Owen)
– almonds (good thing to get from Trader Joes)
– Peter will talk to Donald (vegan)
– Omni pancakes will be taken care of by Jon
– Slidin’ Thru, Peter will talk to them to schedule a drop off of trailer a full day prior so we can clean it out and have a pancakes and beer party for GBP the night before
– tables/chairs (Peter will arrange with Angela)
– Shade structures ( Marissa is talking to Whole Foods, will need to inventory collective shade structures and make sure we have enough to cover all seating areas this year)
– band (Big Like Texas is in, will need to talk to Fiddlers Group at library also)