What we did tonight:
- Reset irrigation clock for hot weather. Program A starts at 1:15 a.m. all days but Sunday. Program B starts at 12 a.m. on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Are watering days, number of watering days, and length of watering times okay?
- Sunken bed was dry (see note re: irrigation adjustment above.) Ran drip system in sunken bed on manual setting for 40 minutes.
- Sowed seeds of ‘Crimson Sweet’ watermelon (GF/HM) under west jujube. Sowed ‘Delicious 51’ cantaloupe (GF/HM) under east jujube. Sowed seeds of ‘Black Beauty’ zucchini (Martha Stewart Organic, retail) under almond tree. Sowed yellow crookneck squash (S.O.C., retail) under pistachio tree. Sowed white icicle radish seeds (GF/HM) with all of these seeds to see if the radish plants would have any effect on squash bugs later in the season. (Radish plants are said to deter squash bugs.)
- Earlier in the week, put floating row cover over chichiquelites (NSS), hoping it would keep critters away so seedlings could grow back from stubs.
- Added many bags of garden waste to compost
What we observed:
- One Jericho Romaine (GF) seedling is coming back. No longer any sign of life in Chichiquelite (NSS) planting area. It looks like the floating row cover did not help. Seedlings may have dried up in the heat. Irrigation clock should have been reset before this week’s heat arrived instead of after.
- Bisbee Black cowpeas (PLG saved) and Purple Yeome string beans (NSS) are performing well.
- Artichokes (particularly the one on the southeast rim over the sunken bed) continue to host aphids and ever-growing swarms of flies.
What to do next time:
- Continue spreading screened compost.
- Thin/transplant Bisbee Black cowpeas (PLG Saved.)
- Plant Armenian cucumbers and tomatillos. Plant okra, the dried pods of which can later be used for kids’ crafts.
- Plant sunflowers?
- Install dried sorghum stalks (stacked by north wall) to support purple Yeome beans if needed.
- Observe and record what is germinating, what is being eaten by critters, etc.
- Continue weeding (mostly grassy weeds, dandelion/ sowthistle/ prickly lettuce-like weeds, and bindweed.)
- Screen wood mulch before spreading.
- Transplant artichoke from sunken bed to top of sunken bed.
Water meter reading: 269,731